He was outside playing ball with me and I decided to take him inside for a snack. I won't ever forget every detail of the scariest moment in my life. I sat him in his high chair, gave him his snack and handed him his cup. Next thing I see is his cup fall from his hand in the most unusual way. I know a child dropping his cup is common but the way he awkwardly lost control of his cup was frightening. I asked him if he was okay multiple times and called his name. He was unresponsive, but wide awake. He was in a daze and staring off into space. His lips starting turning a bluish purple and all I could do was immediately grab him and call for Joey. His jaw stayed tight and he started dozing off, closing his eyes and I thought the worse. I didn’t know what was happening. I told Joey to call for an ambulance and for what seemed like forever till they got there, my mind went crazy.
I thought I might lose my baby boy. I thought this isn't supposed to happen. I thought what did I do wrong. I thought please take me instead. I thought please ambulance/help get here soon.
All I could do was hold on to him and make sure he felt safe. I felt helpless.
When the paramedics arrived, they immediately took his temperature and started an IV. The paramedic told me he was definitely out of it, but would be okay. His vitals were good, but needed to be taken to emergency room for further evaluation. He said he was definitely out of it seeing as he said he has never stuck a child that young with any resistance. We were in the emergency room all night for x-rays and lab results-he had to pee in a bag-that took a while. All came back normal. He had a febrile seizure. It is common in young children when their temperatures spike quickly or elevate to a high temperature. Not sure if it would have helped the situation or not if I knew what was going on or not. The doctor said it wouldn't have helped me and I think I agree. Knowing or not, seeing your child like that was painful when you know that you can't do anything to help.
I am so thankful that he is healthy and happy. We truly have many things to be thankful for every Thanksgiving!!! For me I remember that scary moment of what could have been one Thanksgiving ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment